Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Book 18 - The Hunger Games


My eighteenth book was The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. I had heard this book was really good (and really popular) so I figured I would give it a try. I wasn't too excited about reading it, though, when I started. But OMG, when I got into it, I couldn't put it down...it's exciting from beginning to end. Not really beginning, because it takes a few chapters to explain who she is and what the Hunger Games really are, but several chapters in, it really starts picking up. Katniss Everdeen is a tough girl from District 12 (the disctrict that produces coal). Her father died in a mine when she was little, so she has to get food for her entire family, which is made up of her mother and her 12 year old sister, Prim. Every year, in punishment for a rebellion by the districts many years ago, the Capitol (the ruling "district") has the Hunger Games. Two names are drawn from each district, a boy and a girl, two go fight in the Hunger Games. When Prim's name is drawn, Katniss volunteers to go in her place. The other "tribute" is a boy named Peeta, who Katniss had an encounter with when she was little. Once she enters the arena the Hunger Games are in, she must not only find food, water, and shelter, but she also must stay away from the 24 other tributes, including Peeta.

No comments:

Post a Comment