Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Book 39 - Something Borrowed


My thirty-ninth book was Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin. I hadn't heard about this book until I saw the trailer for the movie online. As soon as I watched it, I wanted to see it, but I haven't gotten to, as of this post. But I decided to read the book until I could see the movie. The book is great. I have a feeling, just from the trailer, that they have changed a lot in the movie. But that's okay. The main character is Rachel, a people pleaser who has always put the needs of her life-long best friend, Darcy, in front of her own. Until her 30th birthday, that is, which is where this novel starts. Darcy is self-centered, manipulative, and competitive. She has the perfect job, the perfect body and face, and the perfect fiance, Dex, who was Rachel's friend before he met Darcy. Rachel had convinced herself that she didn't like Dex while she was in law school because he was too far out of her league; that he would go better with a girl like Darcy. But, on Rachel's 30th, everything changes, namely, Rachel finds out that Dex has liked her since law school, which he admits to her while they are drunk. Dex kisses her, which she knows is wrong, but it turns out she likes him too. The next morning, she realizes it was just a thing that happened because they weren't using their best judgment. Then he lets one little fact slip: "I wasn't that drunk."
Grade: A+
SC: 6
V: 0
C: 5

No comments:

Post a Comment